Thinking about getting back into shape or just keen to keep active?
From helping to improve your sleep and fight depression to strengthening your muscles and improving your heart health, walking can have many benefits for the human body. However, whatever the reason might be for you to start walking more, purchasing the right shoes is extremely important to ensure you’re protecting your feet, back, bones and joints. But how to pick the best walking shoes you ask?
If you’re overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information available out there about finding the right walking shoes for you, fear not as we’re here to help! In this article, we’ll briefly mention some of the top walking health benefits before explaining how to pick the right walking shoes for you and review some of the best walking shoes on Amazon.
The Benefits of Walking
Regular physical activity, such as walking has been shown to have several health benefits. We’ve listed some of them below:
Help with weight control
Your weight reflects the balance between ingested calories and burnt calories. By walking 30 minutes a day, you’ll roughly burn 125 calories. If you do this every day of the year, that’s 45,000 calories or 5.8kgs of fat burnt. Not bad! Note that the optimum walking time for the human body is 8 hours a week.
Improve cardiorespiratory fitness
Walking regularly has also been proven to help improve heart health and reduce cardiac risks. A 30-minute walk every day can, therefore, help diminish blood pressure, lower your cholesterol levels, and decrease your risk of heart attack. It also increases your lung capacity and helps your lungs stay healthier for longer.
Support your joints and strengthen your muscles
Joint cartilage doesn’t have direct blood supply. Walking produces repeated movements and gently squishes your joints which, in turn, stimulates the joint fluid and brings oxygen and nutrients to your cartilage. Walking is, therefore, an excellent way to nourish and protect your joint cartilage and decrease stiffness.
Want to strengthen your glutes, calves and thighs? Walking is also a great way to strengthen these muscles as they all have to work hard to maintain stability while you’re walking.
How to Pick the Right Walking Shoes
Having the right equipment when going for a walk is key to your fitness success. When choosing your walking shoes you should look at specific features as listed below:
- Ensure the shoes feature a snug heel counter and fit correctly to prevent pronation
- Look for good traction outsoles featuring grooves to prevent falls and slips
- Pick shoes featuring cushioned midsoles made with foam, gel or air for better arch support
- Choose shoes with great shock absorption insoles to protect your bones and joints
- Make sure there’s enough room in the toe box for your toes to bend freely
Review of the Best Walking Shoes on Amazon
– Design: Made in the US, this premium and iconic walking sneakers feature a sleek design for a trendy fitness look
– Support: The ENCAP soft cushioning midsole technology provides enhanced arch support and maximum durability. These shoes also feature Dual Density Collar Foam allowing for both resistance and flexibility
– Traction: The AT-Tread outsole has been engineered to provide great traction in both on and off-road situations and prevent falls or slips
– Comfort: This snug shoe provides enough space in the toe box for the toes to bend freely and features a breathable Mesh upper to prevent discomfort at the end of a long walk
||– Comfort: These snug and lightweight slip-on sketchers feature a soft fabric upper for optimal comfort. They’re so comfortable that they’ll feel like you have slippers on. If you have bunions or other foot conditions, the flexible and soft upper will allow for more room for your feet
– Support: The high-quality cushioned insole provides enhanced arch support to help distribute the pressure evenly across the foot Further, the side panels of the shoes feature a stability Mesh to provide extra support.
– Odorless: The integrated OrthoLite anti-microbial sockliner prevents foot odor
– Shock Absorption: These shoes have been engineered using the unique Resalyte Technology to enhance shock absorption and protect the back, bones and joints
||– Breathability: These versatile walking and running shoes feature a premium Ortholite X-40 Sockliner keeping your feet dry and prevent odor settling in
– Support: These ASICS running and walking shoes are the ultimate support shoes for anyone who wants to start walking to improve their fitness. What’s more, they’re the perfect walking shoes if you’re suffering from foot conditions such as heel spurs or plantar fasciitis. Indeed, the lightweight EVA midsole combined with the incredible rearfoot GEL technology provides extra cushioning and high shock absorption to protect your feet, ankles and back against impact while walking. Besides, the ORTHOLITE sockliner molds to your feet and adds extra arch support so that you can walk for hours without ever feeling pain or discomfort
– Traction: The multi-directional lugs outsole has been designed to provide you with added traction especially on steep terrain
||– Design: The no laces, slip-on design gives these shoes a very clean and youthful look. They come in 30 different colors so you can easily match them with any of your favorite outfits
– Versatility: These classic Konhill’s can be worn indoors, when camping, exploring, casually walking, shopping and even at the gym
– Breathability: The shoe vamp has been crafted using a soft knit Mesh upper so that your feet can breathe while you’re walking
– Support: These lightweight shoes feature a cushioned insole and a durable rubber outsole for added arch support and ultimate comfort. The outsole has been specifically engineered to absorb shocks and protect your joints and bones no matter the amount of force placed on the foot. A lot of customers report having no pain whatsoever at the end of a long day on their feet wearing these Konhill shoes
||– Comfort: These streetwear-inspired walking shoes feature an NB Soft Comfort Insert for the ultimate comfort walking experience. They break in easily so no pain or discomfort during the break-in period
– Support: These shoes are ideal if you work on your feet, suffer from plantar fasciitis or enjoy walking regularly. The cushioned midsole will help support your arches, distribute the pressure evenly across the foot, and protect your bones and joints. Besides, the Strike Path technology will ensure proper posture and stability
– Flexibility: These shoes have been crafted with a flexible upper and reinforcing strips to ensure an improved walking experience
We hope this article provided you with some great tips on how to pick the right walking shoes and that you’re now ready to tackle this new walking challenge with some of the best walking shoes available on Amazon!
Have you been shopping for walking shoes recently? We’d love to read your suggestions in the comment section below 😉